• Martha: Marnie (but really only to my mom and Kathleen O’Shea J)
• Jordyn: Jordy, Jords
• Adelaide: Addy, Addy Bear, Bear
• Aidan: No real nicknames yet!
Occupations outside of being a CrossFit champ:
• Martha: Teacher, coach, and residential dean at Phillips Academy in Andover, MA.
• Jordy: Sophomore at St. Michael’s College
• Addy: Senior at Pingree School
• Aidan: Student at Phillips Academy Andover
Hometown:Andover, MA during the school year and Essex, MA in the summer.
• Martha: Any partner or team-style workout…I love to be pushed by other people and feel that I work hardest when I am contributing to a team goal.
• Jordy: DT
• Addy: Saturday team workouts
• Aidan: Anything with rope climbs
• Martha: Deadlift
• Jordy: Power cleans
• Addy: Deadlift
• Aidan: Deadlift
Favorite WOD music:
• Martha: I coach at a prep school with high school kids and make them do 10 pushups every time they swear or if they are playing music with profanities in the locker room or during warm-ups, so CFCA playlists are always fresh and new to me!
• Jordy: Anything I can sing or dance to!
• Addy: Rap
• Aidan: Any Kid Cudi song
Which class do you usually attend?
• Martha: 6:30 AM, Ladies Night and Saturday team WODs
• Jordy: 6:30 AM
• Addy: 6:30 AM
• Aidan: I usually go to the 6:30 am, if I can wake up.
How did you find out about CrossFit?
• Martha: I had some friends who did CrossFit while on sabbatical in South Africa and I was intrigued.I heard that a new box was opening up on the waterfront in Gloucester and reached out to Jon and Karen. I’ve been hooked and coming every summer since then!
• Jordy: My mom!
• Addy:From my mom!
• Aidan: From my mom!
Did you play sports back in the day? Or was it all smoking butts underthe bleachers?
• Martha: I played a lot of different sports in high school and then played field hockey, ice hockey, and lacrosse in college. The only thing I did under the bleachers in high school was to hide during marching band practice because I hated it!
• Jordy: I played soccer and lacrosse in high school and I am playing lacrosse in college.
• Addy: I currently play field hockey, ice hockey, and lacrosse at Pingree.
• Aidan: I play lacrosse, hockey and football
How has CrossFit changed your life outside of the gym?
• Martha: CrossFit has been an amazing outlet for me as a former athlete and has been an inspiration for me as a coach. I want to be able to be a positive role model for the student-athletes I work with every day and doing CrossFit is one way I show them how important it is to stay active and healthand then of course there is the fact that I am trying to keep up with my own kids!!!
• Jordy: I feel stronger and more capable for my sport. I joined a gym when I was living in Salzburg, Austria for a year and CrossFit gave me friends and even family to visit.
• Addy: CrossFit has definitely helped me prepare and get in shape for my sports during the year and it has made me more confident in my lifting capabilities outside of the gym.
• Aidan: I feel stronger and am proud of the improvement I’ve shown throughout my time at CFCA
What and/or who motivates/inspires you?
• Martha: As someone who coaches as a big part of part of my profession, it is always so refreshing for me to come to CFCA in the summer and be inspired by the coaching styles and techniques of the amazing team of coaches here. I definitely head back to my job every September with new ideas and energy for what I do. I am also motivated by staying healthy and strong to try to be the best role model I can for my family.
• Jordy: Wanting to be the best version of myself motivates me and I am always inspired by my mom!
• Addy: My mom has always inspired me and pushes me to be my best self.
• Aidan: The idea that I can improve my fitness and performance on the sports field.
Name one goal/personal achievement you would like to achieve with thegains made through CrossFit?
• Martha: I’d love to do that Spartan race this fall with Mark & the gang!
• Jordy: New goal is to do more than 3 pullups!
• Addy: To be in the best shape I can be for my sports and to play field hockey and lacrosse in college.
• Aidan: I would like to be able to hit one muscle up.
What are your hobbies outside of CrossFit?
• Martha: Anything I can do on the river- paddling, boating, swimming; gardening, mountain biking, hiking.
• Jordy: Playing with our dogs, watching and playing sports and enjoying a Nicholas Sparks book at the beach!
• Addy: I love to play with our dogs, surf, waterski and just hang out with friends.
• Aidan: I like to play sports in my backyard and go water skiing whenever possible.
What’syour favorite aspect of CFCA?
• Martha: Hands down…the people! The CFCA community has embraced us since day 1 and being a part of this supportive, fun, and inspiring group of people is an incredible gift for my entire family. We look forward to being back every summer!
• Jordy: How close everyone is as a community – and of course Ladies Night!
• Addy: The confidence that others put in you by cheering in a grinding workout or just saying keep it up as you run by.
• Aidan: I love how friendly and welcoming everyone is a soon as you meet them.
CFCA favorite memory?
• Martha: Having all the ladies over to our house in Essex this summer…next year maybe we’ll invite the gents!
• Jordy: The Terrain Race that we did with some of the CFCA crew!
• Addy: The terrain race that we did with some other members!
• Aidan: The quarry runs on Fridays.
Any tips for the new members?
• Martha: Don’t put off coming to the gym until you “get in shape.” Just show up and do the work. The people around you at CFCA will make you want to come back again and again!
• Jordy: Just have fun with it! Pace yourself on those hill-loops!
• Addy: To go at your own pace and have fun with working out!