Somehow I don’t think Cave-Women had such nice hair.
Official Start is of the 3rd CFCA Paleo/ Crossfit Challenge is Monday September 12th
Official Finish is Friday November 11th
Entry Fee: $20
*This is not a weight loss competition. This challenge is a way to better health and a longer happier life. Your efforts will be judged based on the following 6 criteria
1. Before & After Pics
2. Measurement Improvements: weight & waist
3. Performance gains
4. Nutritional Adherence
5. Attendance to CFCA based on your membership.
6. Bonus Points
for details on each please see below..
Criteria 1. The Dreaded Before and After Photos:
All participants will be required to take before and after photos. For men this is will be with a shirt off, for women some sort of sports bra or something where the abdominal area can be seen. These photos will be stored away on our computer and will only be viewed at the end of the challenge to help assess the winner. The only photos that will be displayed are of those of you that give consent at the end of the challenge. Just like in last few challenges we will have a Paleo Party to find a winner. This Party will coincide with our yearish anniversary of CFCA so we may do something extra Big…
Criteria 2. Measurements: Body weight & waist circumference
All participants will be weighed before and after the challenge. You will be ranked by percentage change in bodyweight. To keep this as accurate as possible we suggest you come in during the same class time on the first day of the event and last day of the event, and wear the same articles of clothing.
Weight change will be based off of starting weight.
Example: Starting weight: 200lbs – Ending weight: 185lbs – Net Change: 7.5%
Criteria 3. Performance:
On the first and last day of the challenge we will be doing 3 benchmark tests. Each benchmark will be weighted equally, and an average percentage change will be used to rank each individual on the benchmark performance. It is important that if you scale any of the benchmarks you use the same scaling when we retest at the end of the challenge even if you no longer need that level of scaling.
Benchmark # 1: 1 RM Deadlift
Benchmark # 2: Max Rep pull-ups
Benchmark # 3: Baseline 500m row, 40 Air Squats, 30 Sit-ups, 20 Push-ups, 10 Pull-ups
All benchmark changes will be based on percentage change with the first test being the base.
Benchmark # 1: 250lbs to 275lbs = 10% change
Benchmark # 2: 10 pull-ups to 13 pull-ups = 30% change
Benchmark # 3: 360 seconds to 342 seconds = 5% change
Final Result: 15% net change
Criteria 4. Nutritional Adherence:
Ranking for the nutrition component will be based on points, whoever has the most points at the end of the 60 days will be ranked in 1st for the nutrition component. Again this is a paleo challenge, this means meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds. No dairy, legumes, refined sugar, or grains. You will be allowed 2 cups of black coffee a day, a cup being 6oz (you may have additional cups if the coffee or tea is decaf). If you need clarification on where something fits, please ask.
Scoring of Nutritional Adherence:
You will be required to keep track of your eating in a Nutrition log. From this log you will give yourself a daily score of 0-4 based on your compliance with the Paleo Diet. That score will tallied for the week and be posted on a board at the gym.
Four Points: You are a hunter-gatherer. Hyper Vigilant! Your body is your temple!! You eat nothing but meat, veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.
Three Points: The realist! One time during the day, you had a little something that wasn’t paleo, but wasn’t horrible.
Examples: Dried Fruit, Most Condiments (bbq, soy sauce, ketchup, mayo, salad dressing), Peanuts, Hummus, Cream in Coffee, etc…
Two Points: Fairweather Follower. You slipped…but didn’t get hurt. You had a small amount of “not real food”. Maybe it was a fully Paleo day, but you couldn’t resist having a beer at the family BBQ, or you finished your kids mac ‘n cheese, but the rest of your day was solid. Examples: 1 beer/glass of wine, dinner rolls, a handful of fries/chips, rice, etc…
One Point: Slacker. Most of your day was Paleo, but there was one full meal that you fell off the wagon.
Examples: Pasta, Pizza, more than one Soda/Juice/alcohol, bag of popcorn, etc…
Zero Points: Full on Blow out Cheat day! What’s paleo anyway?
*Post workout is the one time we will allow a slight deviation from Paleo. If you are unable to stomach solid foods after training a protein drink is a great alternative, if you are able to stomach whole foods by all means bring in a chicken breast and sweet potatoes. For fast and complete recovery we suggest a post workout protein shake and some sweet potatoes. You should mix the protein with water (aim for 20-45 grams), and eat 3-9 ounces of sweet potatoes. If your primary goal is to decrease body fat and get leaner skip the potatoes. If you just finished “Murph”, “Eva”, “Badger” or other 25+ minute intense workouts, go higher on the starches to replace glycogen. Your performance the next day is dependent on it.
Criteria 5. Attendence to CFCA
You get and extra 5 points a week for hitting your allotted attendance to CFCA. So if you have an Unlimited membership you need to get to the gym at least 5 times over the week to get the full five points. If you are a 3x a week + Saturday you need to come 4 times a week. 2x a week + Saturday members & punchcard members need to come 3 times a week to get the full five points. If you make it to the gym at least 50% of what your membership allots, you get 2 points. Less than 50% attendance gets no extra points.
We believe rewarding people for being at CFCA will serve two purposes. First the more you are at CrossFit, the more support you will have during the Paleo Challenge. Being around others that are going through the same experiences, will enhance your chances of success. Second, the benefits of Paleo are magnified when combines with training program that combines constantly varied, high intensity, functional movements. Train Hard. Eat Clean. Live Life.
Criteria 6. Bonus Points:
1. You can get additional bonus points for every night you sleep more than eight hours. Proper sleep has been associated with everything from faster recovery, better mental focus, to more HGH production. We believe this is one of the greatest factors in improved health and want to reward those that are getting their zzzz’s.
2. You get one extra bonus point for everyday that you perform mobility and stretching work for more than 20 minutes (you Yoga goers get an extra point a day for going to Yoga).
3. You get one extra bonus point for everyday you consume at least 3 grams of Fish oil (this means 3g or 3000mg of EPA and DHA. You need to pay attention to how much EPA and DHA is in your source. For example ..the cheap Costco fish oil capsules, while each capsule is 1000mg, it only has 300mg of EPA and DHA. So to get 3g of fish oil a day you would need to take 10 of those capsules). One of our biggest goals with this challenge is to reduce Silent Inflammation. Silent inflammation is far more insidious than classic inflammation because it is at the molecular level and may not be detected until it’s too late! It doesn’t generate the pain associated with classic inflammation and therefore goes untreated for years or even decades. Virtually every type of chronic disease (heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s) has a significant inflammatory component as its underlying cause. Silent Inflammation is the first sign that your body is out of balance and no longer well. You can’t feel it, but it is grinding down your heart, your brain and your immune system. Your weight and health are greatly determined by how well you control the inflammatory process.
1. Eat Paleo
2. Maintain a food log
3. Record your weekly scores on the CFCA Paleo Board. (There will be a large white board in the front of the gym where you will be able to track your points (nutritional adherence, CFCA attendance & bonus points) Be Honest!!!!
So!!! Just because you are hyper vigilant about your paleo intake, you sleep like a baby for 10 hours a night in your blacked out, distraction free room, your taking more fish oil than you can absorb and your points tally for the challenge is off the charts…does not mean that you are a shoe in for the top spot. These parameters are merely a way to state your case so to speak and track accurate results of your efforts. At the end of the challenge the winners will be selected by everyone who participated in the challenge based on all six of the challenge criteria. Just like in challenges past..it will come down to the votes! So go big or go home. Put the work in cause its anyone’s game. That being said if you think you have less weight shed than a double doughboy, remember that the challenge is for overall better health. Be supportive and join in cause doing this as a gym wide event will be more fun.
Prizes to be determined but like in the past.. will be cash potentially mixed with free massage/accupunture treatments and CFCA Gear. Should be good stuff.
any questions??? please let us know.